Monday, January 22, 2024

Bringing my adorable house cat, Mister Whiskers, to Buddhism



The cat was hungry.  My cruel landlord was stingy on food for the cat.  The pellets had run out, and it was yet another day until he could use his seniors discount at Food Barn to get a bag. Still, the cat howled.  It ran between your legs when you climb the stairs.  I was determined to convert the cat to Buddhism.  How could a vicious swamp critter like a cat take to the practice?  

I put out some cat food in front of my Shrine.  I had to find the cat and pick her up from in front of the fish freezer. I had to carry the cat to the food.  She started eating.  

I rang the gong.  The cat did not run away.

Normally, when I rang the gong, the cat would run away.  I was amazed.  

At the end of the ritual, I stepped on the cats tail.  Not on the meaty part, but the very tip.  Just hair.

The cat howled, but did not run away.  The cat stayed in front of the Shrine.  After she lost a hunk of hair to my pressing down slipper, she slashed her tail really fast, like she was using prayer beads.  And she did not run away!  

I have done this for some weeks now.  Never once did I tell the cat what I was doing.  Now, the cat runs to me when I have Buddhist rituals.  The sound of the neighbor's gongs now excites my cat.  

My cat comes running to practice Buddhism whenever I ring the gong. This is a powerful testimony of the power of self washing brain power.    

I now have experience in forcible conversion of house pets to another religion. 

1 comment:

  1. I believe it was Marc Bolan who said, "Bang a gong, get it on!" Now I understand what he meant.

    ReplyDelete