Wednesday, March 27, 2024

A trip to the Office


Me, I have friends. Some have office jobs. They do not fix cars. One of my office friends, he needs money. He works in the financial sector in Toronto, in a big tower. His side hustle is finding people on the internet who will pay him to do odd jobs in Toronto. He got an email from some guy, this guy wants my friend to take a desk top computer in to work and plug it in. The computer is heavy. My friend asked me to help. I would carry the desk top, in a nice bag, wearing my blue pinstripe, to fit in. We have already practiced getting me into where he works; that way we could have coffee in the cafeteria.


My friend was nervous. I was calm.

I knew where I was going. My friend, he knew where he was. He was at work. In the big tower, downtown, downtown Toronto. The General Ledger department. They had live access. I was dropping off a parcel, carrying it for my friend.

'This one is on vacation', I said. They had an On Vacation sign. The return date was written in blue dry erase marker. It had a unicorn with a sparkle tail. The floor was empty. Remote workers, gone.

The desktop came with a convenient bag of cables, and an informative installation guide. Dark Universe Ikea. I just plugged everything in. I did wait to turn it on, though.

The desk phone was different. I was supposed to run a 'phone line' from the 'puter and replace the handset to dial pad cable. The handset would just be there. Not plugged into anything. It would be a visual signal to any observant hero that one of these things was plugged in near by. Hmmm. I tucked the unused curly cable back behind the keypad. Then, I turned it on.

I felt good. I can help! My friend, we went to the cafeteria and had coffee and looked at used cars for sale.

Job done. Time for Coffee. Victory Coffee!

No comments:

Post a Comment